Department: Governmental Affairs
Internship Title: Governmental Affairs Intern
An intern in the Division of Governmental Affairs at IDPH will, under the direction of the Division Chief of Governmental Affairs, communicate with legislators about public health issues and legislation, report to IDPH leadership on committee hearings and action, and support efforts related to boards and administrative rules. Attendance at legislator and stakeholder meetings will be expected. Intern will support in building stakeholder and legislator relationships, coordinating meetings, and completing projects as needed. Public health data, board appointments, and filing of paperwork related to rules are expected projects but are subject to change as necessary. Internship is unpaid and can be for course credit or work experience.
- Communicating with legislators and their office regarding constituent questions and needs via phone and email
- Filing administrative rules
- Sorting files and preparing files for storage and destruction
- Reviewing legislation that has passed and answering questions from IDPH staff
- Conducting an audit of active boards and commissions and openings on those boards
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Political Science, Public Health, Policy, or a related field.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and independently.
- Enthusiasm for community engagement and public health initiatives.
- Hybrid position based in Springfield.
- 10-15 hours per week.
Click to Apply