Welcome to the Office of Business and Financial Services Open Comment Blog!
The Office of Business and Financial Services is requesting feedback from the UIC Academic Fiscal Officers/Business Managers Group regarding proposed changes to the University of Illinois System-wide relocation assistance policy. The proposed policy was reviewed by System Office Leadership and the Provosts of each university. The Policy Office is requesting your feedback as part of the stakeholder analysis process. This open comment period will begin on June 27th and close July 11th at 5 p.m. CT.
The proposed updates to system policy are:
- Switch assistance from a reimbursement-based process to a one-time moving stipend processed through University Payroll and Benefits (UPB). The total amount being offered must be documented in a signed offer letter, paid in full, is taxable, and may not be grossed up
- Raise the relocation assistance cap above the current limit of $7,500 to allow for payments up to $15,000. Exception requests to provide reimbursement assistance above the $15,000 limit must be approved by the chancellor or equivalent, or delegate
- Eliminate the list of ‘pre-approved’ expense types, as the assistance will be paid in the form of a stipend and not a reimbursement
- End the ability to make direct payments to moving companies or other vendors
- Allow universities to create additional policies to further restrict relocation assistance payments
- Clarify that civil service employees may be eligible to receive relocation assistance
The new policy will be found in Section 8 Payments and Reimbursements of the Business and Financial Policies and Procedures Manual.
Please review the policy and provide feedback.
Contact: For questions contact OBFS Policies at (312) 585-9049 or firstname.lastname@example.org
8.11 Relocation Payments
The University of Illinois System may provide a one-time moving stipend to eligible employees for the purpose of supporting the relocation process. The stipend may not exceed $15,000, without prior approval from the chancellor or equivalent, or delegate. The amount of the stipend must be documented in a signed employment offer letter. The stipend will be paid in full, is considered taxable income, and may not be grossed-up. At the discretion of the universities, additional university-level approvals, or restrictions may be applied.
Reason for the Policy
The University of Illinois System allows one-time moving stipend payments to assist with the recruitment of new or transferred employees.
Applicability of the Policy
Units may, when funds are available, provide a one-time moving stipend to new or transferred permanent, full-time members of the faculty, administrative, academic professional staff, and when appropriate, civil service staff. Contact the appropriate university or system human resources office for relocation stipend options for civil service staff.
The amount of a one-time moving stipend must be documented in a signed offer letter. Stipend payments must be submitted to University Payroll and Benefits for processing. Units are responsible for initiating the one-time moving stipend payment request and for following additional university-specific requirements. Units should process the stipend via PARIS using earn code REL under the payment type agreement/settlement. The offer letter and any additional documented approvals from the Chancellor or equivalent if the stipend amount exceeds $15,000 must be scanned into the employee’s BDMS record by HR and/or the unit in order for UPB to process the payment. Refer to University Payroll and Benefits guidance at (URL) for additional information regarding how to process these stipend payments.
Related Policies and Procedures
18.5 Fringe Benefits
PARIS Resource Page
To leave feedback, please use the "Add Comment" link below. On the next screen, choose the "Sign in with my NetID" option and log in with your University credentials. Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment will not appear until approved.
You may also submit a comment without posting to the feedback board by contacting email@example.com.