Business Meals, Refreshments, and Alcohol
Welcome to the CFO Business and Finance Policy Office Open Comment Blog!
The Office of the Vice President and Comptroller is hosting an open comment period, beginning November 15th and closing December 4th at 5 p.m. CT, to present updates to existing business meals, refreshments, and alcohol policies in Section 8 Payments and Reimbursements of the Business and Financial Policies and Procedures Manual. The proposed policies are being presented as 8.1.1 Business Meals, Refreshments, and Alcohol.
The following are highlights of the proposed changes to the business meals, refreshments, and alcohol policy:
- Basing the permissibility of business meal expenditures on a bona fide business purpose as defined by existing IRS Accountable Plan policy requirements in 18.5 Fringe Benefits and Payables resources
- Eliminating the circumstance- and attendee-specific requirements for business meals expenditures that exist in current policy
- Replacing current meal/time-specific spending caps with a cap of $75 per person per meal
- Eliminating the separate alcohol policy by incorporating existing restrictions on alcohol expenditures
- Simplifying the required supporting documentation by changing attendee affiliation to either ‘employee or non-employee’ and eliminating the requirement to provide names of attendees
- Clarifying the allowable fund types that can be used to purchase alcohol
Please review the policy by downloading the Word file below and provide feedback.
8.1.1 Business Meals, Refreshments, and Alcohol - Proposed Changes (Word)
To leave feedback, please use the "Add Comment" link below. On the next screen, choose the "Sign in with my NetID" option and log in with your University credentials.
You may also submit a comment without posting to the feedback board by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.