Request Direct Payment for Approved Goods and Services
The Office of Business and Financial Services is updating the policies and procedures related to direct payment of vendors through TEM. The updates include replacing the current "Direct Pay Exception List" with the new "Travel and Expense Management (TEM) Allowable Payments List". The current policy "Request Payment for Goods under $500" is being replaced with "Request Direct Payment for Approved Goods and Services". The changes will become effective on January 1, 2019.
Please review the new policy, Travel and Expense Management (TEM) Allowable Payments List, and summary of changes.
- September 2018: Presentations to the Business Manager Groups
- October 2018 - December 2018: Notices will be sent to submitters of expense reports (ER) which will no longer be allowed under the new policy.
- January 1, 2019: The changes become effective, expense reports will be rejected if not compliant.
Comparison Between the current Direct Pay Exception List and the new TEM Allowable Payments List
Current Policy: 8.6.1 Request Payment for Goods under $500
- Referenced in Section 8 of OBFS Policy & Procedure Manual
- Request Payment for Goods under $500
- Items were not clearly defined
- Some items require a purchase order or contract
- Overall dollar amount limitation of $500
- Included P/T-Card Restrictions
Current List: Direct Pay Exception List
Updated Policy: 8.6.1 Request Direct Payment for Approved Goods and Services
- Contracts for Services < $10,000 using approved template
- Employee Reimbursements – Miscellaneous Reimbursements up to $500
- Financial support and sponsorship payments
Items Clarified – New Thresholds
- Employee reimbursements for educational materials; proposed increase to $10,000
- Postage meter refills new limit of $50,000
- Prizes and Awards; new limit of $50,000
- Books if Bookplate applied by the Department
- Donor organ payments including transportation
- Professional & Artistic Services < $5,000
- Professional Memberships
- Publication charges/subvention payments
- Reprints of articles/page charges
Updated List: Travel and Expense Management (TEM) Allowable Payments List