The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is offering four fall Retirement Education Seminars at its Champaign office located at 1901 Fox Drive, Champaign, Illinois 61820 (map/directions) for members enrolled in the Traditional and Portable plans. These popular one-day seminars will be held at the SURS office in Champaign from 9:30am – 3:00pm and are scheduled for:
Tuesday, September 11
Wednesday, October 3
Wednesday, October 24
Tuesday, November 13
Topics will include:
A Social Security representative will be available to discuss your eligibility for Social Security and Medicare, how your Social Security benefit is affected by SURS, and other general Social Security information.
An insurance representative will present information on eligibility, coverage, cost, and dependent information for both State of Illinois Insurance and the College Insurance Plan (CIP).
SURS Session for Traditional and Portable Members
- Eligibility for retirement
- Purchasing additional service credit-cost, availability, ways to purchase, how the purchase may benefit you
- How benefits are calculated under both Money Purchase (if applicable) and General Formula
- What happens when you pass away
- Death Benefits-who qualifies, amount payable
- Survivor Benefits - who qualifies, amount payable
- Applying for retirement benefit
- What happens after you retire-Preliminary Estimated Payment state (PEP), Taxes, Automatic Annual Increase (AAI), Returning to work after retirement
- Benefits to having a one-on-one counseling appointment within four years of retirement
These seminars will be held at SURS (map/directions). The enrollment fee is $20 per member and $10 for a non-member guest. Lunch will be provided. Please contact Karen Maggio by phone at 217-378-8813 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register.
Please note: This seminar is not an approved event for excused time; therefore, employees who wish to attend during scheduled work hours must obtain prior approval from their supervisor and use leave time in accordance with University policy.