The Working Outside of Illinois Policy is a new University of Illinois System policy that provides guidelines to employees if they have been approved to work outside of Illinois.
If you have received approval to work outside of Illinois, your assistance in completing the following steps is required:
- Update the “Address/Contact Information” section in My Profile that is located in My UI Info. This step does not need to be completed if you were recently hired and the address was electronically submitted during the onboarding process.
- Select Edit in the Address/Contact Information section.
- Select Add under Working Outside of Illinois Address.
- Select Submit to save your changes.
- If you have not done so already, complete and submit the Certification of Working Outside the State of Illinois
- If you have not done so already, complete and submit the appropriate Tax Withholding Allowance Certificate if working within the United States but outside of Illinois. If you are a resident of a reciprocal state (Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, and Wisconsin), complete Form IL W-5-NR. Contact University Payroll & Benefits with questions.
- If you are unsure if you have submitted the appropriate tax documents, please check with University Payroll & Benefits via the Service Portal.
Please note that this policy does not apply to temporary changes in work locations of less than 60 consecutive days within a calendar year. If you have multiple residences, this policy applies only if the primary work location is not in Illinois.
If you have questions, please contact your university or system human resources office:
Working Outside of Illinois Policy